Foodland Super Market, Ltd., Hawaii's largest locally owned grocery retailer is hiring for multiple General Merchandise Clerk (part time) positions at various locations to join our family!
Pay Rate: $12.25 per hour
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
Maintain pricing, stocking, and rotation of merchandise in the General Merchandise area and to perform other functions as required in Cashiering, Point-of-Sale (POS), and receiving in an efficient manner within company policy. To maintain and operate the Department in an efficient manner and to ensure that performance contributes to the best financial interests of the store. General Merchandise Clerks are responsible for meeting the standards of excellent customer service which includes providing and maintaining good relationships with all coworkers.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Maintain a positive, service oriented attitude towards all customers, coworkers and the Company.
- Observe all store and company policies, procedures, and practices, including but not limited to employment discrimination and harassment, non-violence, safety, conduct, inventory, cleanliness and customer service.
- Maintain good communications in the department, with fellow coworkers and with customers.
- Maintain a neat, well-groomed personal appearance at all times and observe all dress standards.
- Observe shift operating hours at all times as scheduled or assigned by Management.
- Comply with all state, county, and local health code regulations, weights and measures law, and labeling requirements.
- Assist in receiving, storing, price marking, and restocking of product to ensure quality, accuracy, and product rotation. Transport and store inventory in appropriate storage and/or shelf areas.
- Understand vendor invoices and assist with verification to ensure that invoices are complete and accurate, and that the quality, weight, and condition of products meet company standards.
- Accurately record invoice documents on necessary receiving logs and place signed invoice(s) in the designated, secure area.
- Keep management informed of low inventory conditions or spoilage problems and assist in ordering.
- Follow all company policies in regards to damaged and spoiled products and assist in controlling the level of damaged goods.
- Maintain and promote new items and weekly specials.
- Keep refrigerated cases and other displays adequately stocked and properly faced at all times and display merchandise in an attractive, appealing, neat and colorful manner.
- Follow all inventory control procedures to maximize product freshness, quality, turnover, and availability for maximum sales. Keep perishable merchandise rotated in accordance with product dates and store policy, and to minimize out-of-stocks or overstocks, damaged, shrinkage and spoiled products. Remove all out-of-code merchandise.
- Open cartons and price, display, store and/or break down items according to established policies, procedures, and practices.
- Assist customers in retrieving items from inaccessible areas or in obtaining products that are either located in warehouse or that they may have difficulty in handling.
- Be knowledgeable and able to perform all duties of a cashier.
- Help to contain department expenses by controlling excessive use of utilities and water. Utilize sound conservation practices.
- Follow all store and Company policies, procedures, and practices, including but not limited to accurately recording markups/markdowns, in-store use of merchandise, voids, refunds, and bad merchandise/spoilage write-offs.
- Greet all customers and maintain excellent customer relations by providing prompt and courteous service or assistance. Accurately handle special orders or requests from customers.
- Ring all sales into cash register in accordance with company cash handling procedures.
- Assist in building store displays for maximum sales and turnover; display merchandise in a neat and colorful manner.
- Ensure proper presentation of all products in assigned sections in accordance with company policy prior to leaving at the end of a scheduled shift.
- Maintain regular cleaning and sanitation standards in accordance with store policy, departmental standards, and state and local health regulations on a consistent basis.
- Assist in keeping all store areas clean, clear and in good order.
- Use all equipment in accordance with safety guidelines and assist with proper maintenance. Immediately notify store management of any maintenance or equipment problems, including but not limited to temperature failure in refrigerated cases and display units.
- Check refrigeration equipment for proper performance at least once per shift. Immediately communicate temperature failure to store management.
- Protect company property, products, and assets at all times. Assist in the controlling of shrinkage and pilferage losses. Maintain security standards by staying alert and being aware of customer actions and behaviors. Immediately report any abnormal behavior to store management or security.
- Immediately notify Department Manager or store management of any policy violations or other situations that could adversely impact store performance.
- Must be friendly, helpful and service oriented.
- Bale cardboard boxes.
- Regular and timely attendance is required for this position, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Comply will all work related directives and assignments from direct supervisors.
OTHER JOB DUTIES:
- Assist with the operation of the forklift if trained and certified.
- Assist in training when directed or requested to do so by management.
- Assist coworkers as needed and/or directed by management in order to maintain high productivity throughout the store.
- Assist with maintaining appropriate levels of cleanliness in all store areas, including but not limited to store frontage, restrooms, and parking lots.
- Assist in the prompt clean up of spills and breakages of glass or plastic containers to eliminate potential hazards and prevent accidents.
- Assist in gathering store grocery carts and baskets from store and parking areas and return to designated area(s).
- Housekeeping maintenance of workstations and other areas inside and outside of the store.
- Participate as directed in any company investigations.
- Read new notices on company bulletin boards on a weekly basis.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required by management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
- Ability to accurately handle special requests from customers and to provide excellent customer service.
- Must have analytical skills including the ability to identify improvements in store processes and procedures.
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to operate all equipment necessary to perform the job.
- Must have the ability to read, write, hear, speak, and understand English to communicate effectively with customers and coworkers.
- Successful performance requires specific vision abilities that include close vision and the ability to adjust focus, including possessing sufficient visual acuity to verify invoices and other written documents.
- Must have the ability to follow all applicable rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and practices.
- High school education preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must successfully pass math test.
- Must successfully pass cashier training after hire.
- Must successfully pass physical test.
- Must be able to perform all duties and responsibilities in an efficient and satisfactory manner that meets the minimum standards for productivity, accuracy, cleanliness, harmony, and safety.
- Must be friendly, helpful and service oriented.
- Must demonstrate honesty, leadership, flexibility, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude.
WHY WORK FOR FOODLAND?
We are Hawaii’s only locally-owned supermarket with stores statewide. We are proud to be serving Hawaii since 1948, and proud to be called “Hawaii’s Best!” With 31 stores across Oahu, Maui, Kauai and the Big Island, we are sure to have a job that is perfect for you. Our company's mission is grounded in three basic principles: taking care of our customers, taking care of our employees, and taking care of our community. We offer some or all of the following benefits, depending upon job position and classification: medical, dental and vision coverage; vacation and sick leave; employee assistance program, retirement benefits; Maika`i Membership program benefits for employees.
For more information, please contact Merri at (808) 380-3967 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.