We are currently searching for a people orientated civically minded person with Social Service, Human Services, HR, Public Housing or other related experience to work as an Eligibility Specialist for a temporary project at local municipality (Housing and Redevelopment Division).
The purpose of this class within the organization is to determine eligibility and distribute benefits to the public in an efficient, timely and courteous manner. This class works under general supervision, independently developing work methods and sequences.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The functions listed below are those that represent the majority of the time spent working in this class. Management may assign additional functions related to the type of work of the class as necessary.
- Performs intake screening with clients; enters personal/client data into the computer; reviews and processes applications; determines eligibility for programs by applying local, state, and federal policies.
- Conducts in person interviews and telephone screenings; summarizes information; recommends determinations of eligibility based on submitted information and makes appropriate referrals.
- Reviews applications for accuracy and collects data; analyzes and reviews documents submitted; advises applicants when more information is needed to determine eligibility; notifies clients of the status of their application; sends letters of determination.
- Explains housing programs to clients; answers telephone and email inquiries and records phone call logs; makes referrals to outside resources and coordinates with outside agencies.
- Compiles case files; prepares files for closing; reviews and closes cases for 2nd party review; reviews difficult cases with supervisor to determine eligibility of case.
Performs related work as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: High school Diploma or GED equivalent and two years human services, counselling, crisis intervention or closely related experience. With a bilingual preference.