Accounting Specialist – Temporary Project
We are currently searching for an experience Accounting Specialist for a long-term project at a local municipality. Under the general direction of the designated supervisor an Accounting Specialist performs diversified entry-level professional accounting, accounts payable and/or treasury duties. Our Accounting Specialists are responsible for processing of purchase order and invoice payments, interaction with vendors and departments to resolve payment questions. They also Assist with reconciliation of monthly statements and the research of incomplete invoices. Essential job responsibilities will vary based on assigned function. This position is a great fit for a self-motivated, team player with strong organizational, communication and time management skills. This position deals regularly with the public making a true love of Customer Service a MUST. We’re looking for someone great with numbers and people.
Duties May include but are not limited to:
- Process and schedule invoices for timely payment.
- Review payment authorizations for accuracy and appropriateness.
- Track and account for all cash receipts and deposits.
- Review and maintain sales tax payable schedules, submit related sales tax receipts and reports to the Florida Department of Revenue.
- Record incoming ACH/wire transfers related to revenue, process returned checks, reconcile credit card statements and act as the liaison between departments and the bank.
- Interact with vendors and/or customers to resolve discrepancies and late or misapplied payments.
- Process cash reports for multiple departments.
- Interact with departments to resolve purchase order and invoice differences.
- Research incomplete invoices with vendors and/or departments for missing information.
- Bill customers for leases, lot mowing, demolitions and other miscellaneous services provided to citizens.
- Collect and process customer's payments.
- Prepare and coordinate daily deposits with courier service.
- Assist internal and external customers with questions and payments.
- Prepare and calculate payoff quotes related to title searches.
- Disburse and record petty cash expenditures, reconcile cash fund and request reimbursements to replenish the cash fund.
- Review and reconcile accounts receivable accounts from subsidiary ledger to the general ledger.
- Review and reconcile other treasury-related balance sheet accounts.
- Verify procurement card usage reports to credit card statements; reconcile differences, prepare report and related journal entry to record departmental expenditures.
- Assist in the design, production and distribution of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and/or other financial reports.
- Prepare year-end audit schedules for balance sheet accounts.
- This position requires regular and reliable attendance and the employee's physical presence at the workplace.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proficient in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, and accounting software.
- Possess strong problem-solving skills and is able to work independently.
- Skill to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to operate necessary equipment, including personal computer, calculator, printer, copier, facsimile and other standard office equipment.
- Associate's degree in finance, accounting or related field
- Three (3) years of experience in accounting
- Accounting Specialist II experience and/or training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be substituted for the degree