Plans and performs a variety of machine operations utilizing computerized numerical control machining centers to cut, shape, or form metal work pieces to specifications by performing the following duties.
- Decide which steps (inspect, deburr, and load parts) to take in order to maintain continuous parts production with minimal supervision.
- Runs two or more operations using CNC and conventional machines.
- Responsible for tool changes as required. Adjusts offsets to make quality parts.
- Responsible for regular maintenance duties on assigned machines (i.e. maintaining coolant, coolant concentrate, and hydraulic oil at correct levels).
- Works with other shift operators and Set-Up Technicians to maintain continuous parts production.
- Qualify and operate a CMM, interprets SPC charts and data, initiate and/or takes corrective action necessary to return process back into control.
- Supports and engages in Lean activities to create a continuous improvement environment.
- High School diploma or general education degree (GED); three to five years related experiences and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively communicate with others at all levels of the organization.
- Practical understanding of workplace 5S and Lean manufacturing principles.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiple, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers and decimals. Ability to use and interpret SPC data as required.
- Print reading skills, must be able to calculate metric and standard measurements. Knowledge of basic measuring and testing equipment.
- Ability to use the following test equipment: micrometer/caliper, comparator, Microhite, indicators, gage blocks, and roll pins. Surface finish comparison chart as needed.
- Ability to make tool changes and offset adjustments.
- Working knowledge and experience on vertical and/or horizontal mills and lathes.
- Ability to make adjustments to produce quality parts.
- Implements and sustains Lean initiatives for improvements in quality, cost, delivery, and safety.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and depth perception.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Employee will occasionally be exposed to chemicals such as cutting fluids, coolants, and oils.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following: Speaks clearly and persuasively. Listens and gets clarification; Participates in meetings. Writes clearly and informatively; Able to read and interpret written information. Follows policies and procedures; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Meets productivity standards. Observes safety and security procedures. Adapts to change in the work environment.