The Process Engineer is primarily responsible for design, development, implementation and support of assembly, test stations and other control equipment to drive improvements in quality and manufacturing in global manufacturing operations. This position will work closely with the software and process engineers to review requirements and implement test and machine controls for production machinery.Through application of Lean or Six Sigma methodologies, lead and facilitate the continuous improvement of methods and technology to reduce the time and material impact of test while improving upstream assembly controls for better quality product. The person in this role will contribute to developing and driving equipment methodology, developing/advising on Manufacturing initiatives, as well as working with manufacturing teams on improvement efforts for day-to-day operations.
Essential Functions, Key Tasks, & Responsibilities: (include the following, other duties may be assigned)
- Responsible for processes and equipment to support new product launch and changes to the DTC production line.
- Designs/updates/implements electrical systems and prints for machines or shop floor tooling and equipment.
- Designs/updates/implements human machine interfaces and PLC programs for machines or shop floor systems.
- Direct vendor specification of controls equipment and modify existing PLC and HMI programs for upgrades and changes.
- Support of shop floor device connectivity (torque tools, test and verification equipment, vision systems, etc.).
- Assist with MES configuration, testing and implementation.
- Support integration (installation and networking) of shop floor equipment and tooling into MES and PLCs..
- Provide daily support for urgent production issues, including root cause analysis and resolution.
- Collects data and makes data-driven decisions.
- Confers with equipment vendors and makes purchasing decisions that are in line with good business practices.
- Builds rapport with colleagues from other functional areas. Works well in cross-functional settings.
- Ensures sustainability and continuous improvements projects.
- Develops manufacturing processes by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment.
- Improves manufacturing efficiency by analyzing and planning work flow, space requirements, and equipment layout.
- Maintains product and company reputation by complying with government regulations.
- Behaves ethically and responsively. Models “Behaviours in Action”, and supports the core values of the organization.
- Other duties as reasonably assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical/Software/Mechanical Engineering
- 5+ years of experience
- Interpersonal and presentation skills with a diverse group of colleagues
- Strong skills in SOP and process documentation
- Strong skills in data analysis and root cause definition
- Experience with Lean manufacturing practices
Preferred Qualifications:(Education, Skills, Experience, and/or Languages that are nice to have but not required)
- Master’s Degree
- Lean and/or Six Sigma implementation
- PLC and automation experience
- Some experience with training needs assessment, design and delivery.
- Experience in Mechatronics industry
- Familiarity with SAP ERP concepts
- Must be able to excel in a cross-functional, team-based structure
- High proficiency in Microsoft suite (Word, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint), MiniTab and standard industry software