Library Access Associate
Part Time Temporary position
Major purpose of the Access Associate is to assist patrons in locating information needed within the library collection and to answer factual questions using print and electronic media.
- Answer information requests by phone and in person.
- Record all reference/material requests.
- Assist/instruct patron in use of catalogs, reference sources and the Internet.
- Order interlibrary loan materials and tally all statistics.
- Tabulate reference statistics weekly.
- Clip/add/delete vertical file information.
- Prepare both adult and children's bibliographies.
- Assist in selection of materials.
- Present public presentations on various collections.
- Develop and present programs for adult patrons.
- Shelve, shelf read and shift collections.
- Service machines as needed.
- Provide readers' advisory.
- Provide tours of building.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must have knowledge of the English language; numbers, including decimal system; public relations; bibliographic research techniques.
- Must perform job duties in a timely manner.
- Must be able to ascertain needs of patrons through interviewing techniques and question negotiation; listen with comprehension; analyze and interpret quantitative and narrative data; communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing; read with comprehension from sources such as books, card files, etc.
- Must be able to use short-term and long-term memory; organize research steps; arrange items in sequence; plan/organize work; express concern for and deal positively with patrons and fellow employees in a positive manner.
- Must be able to stand and walk up to 6-hours daily; sit 2-hours daily; lift 15-lbs.; carry 10-lbs.; push carts weighing up to 100-lbs.; climb stairs daily; stoop/bend/reach/pull/handle materials up to 6-hours daily.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree preferred, plus one (1) year of experience utilizing the knowledge and skills required of this job.
- Knowledge of Internet applications desirable.