Job Opening: Yard Operator
Time Type: Full Time
The Yard Driver/Forklift Operator is a dual role. Yard Driver is responsive to the customer regarding the movement and spotting of trailers to facilitate the needs of the warehouse in sorting and processing material for shipment or storage. The Yard Driver is also responsible for timely movements and thorough knowledge of on-hand inventory and positing.
The Forklift Operator is responsible for operating power industrial trucks for the purpose of moving, locating, relocating, stacking, and counting merchandise. The operator is accountable for the safe and efficient operation of the vehicle and may also be required to perform Order Filler and Checker duties in addition to his or her own. They are responsible for the accurate storing, shipping and receiving of product to meet company standards of safety, security, and productivity.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible to maintain a neat and orderly storage lot oriented toward maximizing efficiency in servicing the customer needs.
- Responsible for accounting for records involving trailer numbers and position of vehicles.
- Must function and interact on a daily basis with warehouse supervisors and comply with warehouse safety requirements.
- Must communicate using cellular telephone or 2-way radio with operations, and warehouse personnel in a courteous and professional manner.
- Must maneuver trucks into loading and unloading position, following signal from loading crew as needed. Also place safety wheel chocks in front of wheel/tire to prevent the trailer from rolling. If pup trailer movement is involved; extra care must be taken on the placement of the trailer jack stand (when at dock, jack stand must be on the ground and in a locked position). If there is not a jack stand installed on the trailer the customer must be notified.
- Proper use of Airline/Electrical hookup/and Backing procedure is a must.
- Follow all company policies, guidelines, and quality procedures.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- On a daily basis, inspect and perform minor maintenance on the equipment.
- Assist in maintaining the security of the warehouse and yard
- Unload inbound shipments safely and move product to storage locations. Input data accurately into WMS.
- Efficiently stack and store product in appropriate area.
- Maintain an organized work area.
- Pull and prepare for shipment, ensuring that the exact number and type of product is loaded and shipped.
- Perform picking duties in an efficient manner that meets customer service standards.
- Prepare freight for operations accurately and in a timely manner as required.
- Ensure inbound and outbound shipments are accurate and free of damage.
- Report quality variances
- Efficiently moves product form staging and/or storage to production lines and/or staging docks.
- Proper documentation must accompany freight.
- Keep appropriate records and reports to guarantee that tight inventory control and security are maintained.
- Assist in physical inventories. Ensure proper stock rotation.
Safety, Housekeeping, and Compliance:
- Maintain a clean, neat, orderly work area, and assist in security of the warehouse
- Will comply with all Standard Operating Procedures, corporate and site-specific policies, safety rules, and OSHA/ MSDS Standards.
- Participates in safety meetings.
- Load, unload, move, stack, and stage product and materials using a forklift, clamp truck, drum attachment, or other power equipment.
- Maintain the facility’s equipment and materials in a neat, clean, and orderly fashion.
- On a daily basis, inspect and perform minor maintenance on the forklift or other equipment.
- Operate all equipment in a safe and efficient manner following prescribed work methods.
- Associates must maintain an active forklift certification.
- Perform or assist in building, grounds, and equipment maintenance as assigned.
- Change fuel tanks on forklifts as needed: participate in physical inventories; perform labeling, sorting, wrapping, packing, and repacking as needed
- Repair pallets when necessary, trailers, and truck bays as requested.
- Help maintain the facility to provide a clean, safe work environment.
- Performs other duties as required
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
Education and/or Experience
- Must have a High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- 6 months experience working in a logistics/distribution/relevant environment.
- Able to operate MHE
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Professional Designations
- Satisfactory completion of a forklift training program
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Basic computer skills
- RF Scanners
- WMS functions
- English (reading, writing, verbal)
- Basic to intermediate level to verify quantities of product, count inventory, or perform other duties associated with handling, storing and distributing client products.
- Strong attention to detail accuracy and accomplish job task in a timely manner.
- Ability to perform duties with minimal supervision or guidance
- Must be able to effectively adapt to change and thrive in a stimulating, fast-pace work environment.
- Must be able to work as assigned outside and in a warehouse environment.
- Must have a clean driving record.
- CDL or prior tractor yard experience is preferred
- 1-2 years experience working in a warehouse/logistics/distribution environment
- 1-2 years forklift experience.
- Current or prior MHE certification